July 9, 2020
- Place a pan on a medium heat with some olive oil in, and add the onion in to cook for about 5-8 minutes until translucent. Then add in the garlic and cook for around 2 minutes and set to one side.
- Next grab yourself a blender cup and add in the walnuts and mushrooms and blend until a crumb-like consistency.
- Then add in the black beans, tomato puree, soy sauce, flax eggs, paprika and Italian seasoning to the blender along with the garlic and onion from the pan and blend until combined but so there are still some black bean chunks in.
- Next, empty the mixture into a bowl and combine with the flour and oats. This will make the mixture less sticky.
- Make the mixture into balls and place on a baking tray. Then pop in the fridge for around 30 minutes and cook at 180C for around 15 minutes.
- To make the sauce. Place a medium pan on a medium heat with some olive oil in. Add in garlic and cook for around 1-2 minutes then add in the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, soy sauce/tamari and chilli flakes.
- Cook the pasta and tender stem broccoli as per packet instructions. Drain the pasta and stir through half of the sauce reserving the other half to drizzle on top of the meatballs.
- Add grated parmesan and some fresh basil to finish, if you like.
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 85g mushrooms
- 85g walnuts
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp soy sauce/tamari
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 4 tbsp water left to sit for 5 minutes)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour (you may need to add more to reach desired consistency if the mixture is still too wet)
- 20g oats
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tin plum tomatoes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp soy sauce/tamari
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 360g whole wheat pasta
- 250g tenderstem broccoli
- fresh basil leaves
- handful grated parmesan (or dairy-free alternative)
- chilli flakes, to serve (optional)